Starter Tenancies

Tenancy Agreement

A Starter Tenancy is a 12 month trial tenancy which we give to all new tenants.

When you are a starter tenant you have fewer rights and less protection from eviction than you would have with a full Assured Tenancy and in particular you will not be able to:

  •  Transfer to another property
  • Exchange properties with another tenant
  • Buy the property
  • Make any improvements to the property

Provided you do not break the terms of your agreement, the tenancy automatically becomes a full Assured Tenancy at the end of the 12 month trial period. You will be notified of this change in writing and the above rights will automatically become available to you.

Assured Tenancies

After 12 months of being a tenant with RFH, you will automatically become an Assured Tenant provided there have been no issues throughout the duration of your Starter Tenancy. Assured Tenancies are a much more secure form of tenancy.

All of the rights and responsibilities you have as an Assured Tenant are set out in your tenancy agreement. This is an important document which you should make sure you have read. It is a legal contract between us, the landlord and you, the tenant. You were provided with a copy of this contract at the start of your tenancy but if you need another copy for any reason please contact us and we will be happy to provide this.

Joint Tenancy

Joint Tenancies are usually given to married couples, registered civil partners and co- habitees who have lived together for at least a year. Each joint tenant has equal rights, responsibilities and obligations towards the tenancy which includes paying rent.

In certain circumstances it is important to note the following:

  • In the event of one of the joint tenants passing away, the tenancy is normally automatically transferred to the other party.
  • Should a relationship break down, we cannot make a decision over who keeps the tenancy and therefore any agreements or decisions must be made by the tenants or by a court of law.


The law on tenancy succession is complex and you should contact your housing officer if you need any advice or want to discuss this in detail.


Should you want someone else to move into your home with you, you will need to provide us with that person’s full details and await written permission before proceeding any further. Please remember that taking in lodgers can affect benefit entitlements.

To clarify, please note that you are not allowed to move out of your home and let it to someone else, nor can you give your tenancy to anyone else except by Mutual Exchange (click here or contact your Housing Officer for more information on Mutual Exchange).

Right to Buy & Right to Acquire

All of our properties are let on Assured Tenancies that are not subject to the Right to Buy scheme.

The Right to Acquire is very similar and is the right, in certain circumstances, to buy your home from your housing association landlord.

The basic difference between the two is that Right to Buy applies to council tenants, whereas Right to Acquire is for tenants whose property is owned by a housing association.

If your home was acquired by us after 1st April 1997 then the Right to Acquire may apply.

For further information please contact us on 01933 411 400.


You do not need our permission to house small animals that live in cages or bowls / tanks and do not need to be allowed out of the property unless multiple animals are kept in more than 2 cages. It does apply to larger animals such as cats and dogs.

Once permission is granted there are some conditions that you must ensure are kept to:

  • Ensure your pets do not cause a nuisance to your neighbours
  • Ensure your garden is secure
  • Any dog mess is cleared up to prevent the spread of disease
  • Pets must not cause damage to the property

If these conditions are not met, you may be required to have your pet re-homed.

Click here  for a copy of our pet policy

Vehicles and parking

All cars and light vans that are parked on our properties must be taxed and roadworthy.

You are not allowed to carry out repairs to any vehicle in your front or back garden, driveway or estate that does not belong to you or someone in your household.

Refuse collection

Please make sure that all your rubbish is disposed of correctly, in the wheelie bins provided and on the correct day of collection. If you live in a flat, you are responsible for keeping the bin and bin areas clean and tidy.

Large items of rubbish such as old furniture, toys or prams can be removed by arrangement with the local Council.

For further information, check the local authority website for the area you live in.


Your garden is your responsibility and must be kept in a clean and tidy condition. This includes maintaining shrubs, hedges and trees to a reasonable height and ensuring they do not overhang fences, obstruct footpaths and roads or neighbouring properties and guttering.

If you would like to make any improvements to your garden that involves works such as replacing fences or laying a patio, you will need our written permission first.